Liana’s Healthy Recipes in a Hurry!
Perfect for exam season when you don’t want to have to think too hard about cooking but still want to eat tasty, delicious and healthy home-made stuff.
New recipes added each week!
Creamy Pesto Pasta (see both MEAT and VEGETARIAN alternatives below)
Cooking time: 20-25 mins
(MEAT) ½ chicken stock cube OR (VEGETARIAN) vegetable stock cube
1 red onion
40g cheddar cheese grated
basil (a sprig of 5-7 or so leaves will do!)
(MEAT) 1 chicken breast (approx. 150-200g) OR (VEGETARIAN) 150g of tofu
50g soft cheese eg philadelphia (or you can buy Tesco’s own brand literally called Soft Cheese)
45g green pesto
200g pasta (pick whatever kind you like!)
dash of vegetable oil
NOTE: Personally I don’t add salt to this dish as I generally find the stock cube is salty enough, but feel free to add some if that suits your taste!
Preparation before you start:
- Grate the cheddar cheese
2. Chop the basil finely (leaves and stalks).
3. Wash your spinach and pat it dry in paper towel.
4. VEGGIE OPTION ONLY: Lay the tofu out on paper towel and wrap and let the tofu dry for fifteen minutes
- Cook the pasta in a saucepan of boiled water until it is cooked through (approx. 10-15 mins depending on what kind of pasta you pick so be sure to check the packet!). Keep approx. 150ml of the starchy pasta water as you will add this to the sauce!
- Whilst the pasta is cooking peel and slice the red onion into thin strips
- Then cut the chicken/tofu into diced pieces
- Heat a large pan over a medium heat with vegetable oil in it
- Once the pan has heated up add the red onion and cook for approx. 3 mins over a medium heat
- IF YOU’RE USING TOFU: Add the tofu and cook for approx. 5 mins
- IF YOU’RE USING CHICKEN: Add the diced chicken to the pan and turn the heat up a notch to a medium-high heat. Cook for approx. 8 mins making sure the meat is cooked through.
- Add the cooked pasta with 150ml of the water it was cooking in to the pan with the onions and tofu/chicken. Break up half the stock cube, all the soft cheese, all the pesto and half of the amount of grated cheddar to the pan. Cook until the sauce starts to thicken (approx. 2 mins)
- Add the spinach to the chicken until it has wilted (approx. 5 mins).
- It’s now ready to serve! Serve with the rest of the cheddar cheese that’s left sprinkled on top.
Pear Salad (VEGETARIAN)
This is undoubtedly one of the easiest but tastiest salads I have ever made!
- balsamic glaze (you can make your own or buy it bottled from pretty much every supermarket!)
- 1 x baby gem lettuce
- 1 bag of rocket leaves
- your favourite cheese (if you like blue cheese that goes really well with this salad. otherwise try a cheddar, or a more creamy cheese!)
- Turn the oven on to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Cut up the lettuce and the rocket leaves and distribute how much you want to eat onto each plate you are serving.
- Cut the cheese into small squares and crumble it over the salad.
- Slice and core the pairs into strips (I find I cut each pair into quarters but you can make them smaller too).
- You can either eat the pears cold and crunchy or put them in the oven for approx 8 minutes.
- Place the walnuts on a baking tray and cook them for 3-4 minutes.
- Place the pears on top of the salad and sprinkle with walnuts
- Dress with the balsamic glaze/dressing you have chosen.